Skip to main content

Maddie Desch Retires From Elite

Yesterday, US gymnast Maddie Desch announced her retirement from elite gymnastics via her Instagram account.

Maddie, who trains at Great American Gymnastics Express, aka "GAGE" explained she came to the decision to retire due to a nagging injury that prevented her from training at the elite level.



Dear friends, family, and fans, Today I am announcing my retirement from elite gymnastics. As some of you may know, I have been battling with a back injury for the past few months and it has prevented me from training at the level that I want and need. I recently found out that it was re-fractured, which leads me to this hard decision. I am so grateful for all of the opportunities I have had to represent the U.S. and wear that USA on my back. I have made so many great memories. I have not only grown as a gymnast, but a person through all of my experiences. With the little time that is left, I have decided to let my body heal and look forward to the amazing chapter I have ahead at the University of Alabama. I would like to thank everyone for their support throughout my journey as an elite gymnast. Sincerely, Maddie Desch
A photo posted by maddie_desch16 (@maddie_desch16) on


Maddie competed for Team USA on the 2014 Pan American Championships Team, bringing home a gold medal with the team. In 2015, she was named to the Pan American Games team for the 2015 Toronto Pan Am Games. She brought home another gold medal with the team and individually, she brought home a silver in the all-around. 

In the fall, Maddie will head to Tuscaloosa, Alabama to begin her NCAA gymnastics career with the University of Alabama Crimson Tide and will compete with the Crimson Tide starting in 2017.

Best of luck to Maddie and we can't wait to see her compete in the NCAA!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elise Ray Officially Named Washington Head Coach

Elise Ray, 2000 Olympic Bronze Medalist,  US National Champion, NCAA champion, has been named the head coach at the University of Washington's gymnastics program, following the retirement of longtime head coach, Joanne Bowers.

Peyton Ernst Transfers to Alabama

 Peyton Ernst announced that she's transferred to the University of Alabama to complete her education and to continue her college gymnastics career.

Kyla Ross Out of Worlds Selection

Kyla Ross has ended her bid for a  spot on a third world championship team and withdrawn from worlds selection camp for the world championships in Glasgow, Great Britain. USA Gymnastics released a statement earlier today confirming Kyla's withdrawal from the selection camp, which starts Oct. 6th.